Give your breakfast a Mexican makeover with hot and zesty guacamole and homemade cornbread. It may take a little longer than the standard avo-on-toast, but what else are lazy Sunday mornings for?
Timings & nutrition
Ready in 1 hour 40 minutes, plus cooling time for the cornbread
Cooking time 55 minutes
Prep time 45 minutes
Each serving provides: 585kcal, 39.8g fat, 18g saturates, 9.1g sugars, 1.4g salt
For the cornbread
- 200g coarse ground cornmeal
- 150g plain flour
- 50g caster sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 200ml buttermilk
- 200g butter, melted and cooled
- 1 egg, plus 1 extra yolk
For the guacamole
- 1 large ripe avocado
- Juice of 1 lime
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh coriander
- ½ green chili, seeds removed, finely chopped
- 2 spring onions, outer layer removed and finely sliced
For the eggs
- 1 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 4 eggs
- 40g feta, crumbled
- To make the cornbread, mix the cornmeal, flour, caster sugar, baking powder and salt in a large bowl. Mix the buttermilk, melted butter and eggs in a jug. Make a well in the middle of the dry ingredients and gradually add the wet ingredients, stirring constantly to prevent lumps forming. Leave the mixture to stand for 20 minutes. Meanwhile, heat the oven to 190°C/gas mark 5.
- Make the guacamole. Scoop the flesh of the avocado into a bowl and add the lime juice. Mash this with the back of a fork until fairly smooth then stir through the coriander, chilli and spring onions. Season to taste then cover with clingfilm and set aside.
- Once the cornbread mixture has finished resting, pour the mixture into a 18 x 10 x 7cm non-stick loaf tin and bake for 40 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the middle comes out clean. Leave to stand for 10 minutes or until cool enough to handle, then place on a wire rack to cool. Slice 4 pieces and heat a griddle pan. Griddle the cornbread for around 1 minute on each side or until golden, then set aside and keep warm. (The remaining half of the cornbread will last for 2-3 days wrapped in clingfilm.)
- Put a large pan of water on the heat and allow to boil. Add the white wine vinegar to the pan. Poach the eggs one at a time and transfer to a plate lined with kitchen paper to dry.
- To serve, place a piece of cornbread on each plate and top with a quarter of the guacamole and a poached egg. Crumble a quarter of the feta & enjoy!
This recipe is from Sainsbury’s Homemadebyyou.