Make this lean but delicious salad the night before for the perfect on-the-go lunch. The chilli, garlic and coriander give it zing and wild rice provides a dose of slow-release energy to get you through. Just add the creamy avocado when you’re ready to tuck in.
Timings & nutrition
Ready in 40 minutes
Cooking time 25 minutes
Prep time 15 minutes
Each serving provides: 473kcal, 12.6g fat, 2.5g saturates, 10.1g sugars, 0.7g salt
- 250 g basmati and wild rice
- 400 g tomatoes, washed and chopped
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 tbsp mild chilli powder
- 380 g carton black beans, drained
- 420 g tin mixed beans in mild chilli sauce
- 1 ripe avocado, peeled, de-stoned and sliced
- 50 g spring onions, washed, trimmed and sliced on the diagonal
- 10 g fresh coriander, washed and chopped
- Bring a large pan of water to the boil. Add the rice and simmer for 25 minutes until tender.
- Meanwhile, put half the tomatoes in a separate pan with 150ml water. Bring to the boil and simmer gently for 15 minutes until the tomatoes start to break down.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil in another pan. Add the onion and garlic and cook for 5 minutes until soft. Stir in the chilli powder, then remove from the heat and stir in the drained black beans and the mixed beans in chilli sauce.
- Drain the rice and transfer to a serving platter. Spoon over the cooked tomatoes and beans, then top with the remaining tomatoes, the avocado and the spring onions. Season with freshly ground black pepper and serve scattered with the chopped coriander leaves.
This recipe is from Sainsbury’s Homemadebyyou.