Clean Eating Spinach and Mushroom Quiche
- YIELD: 8 Servings
- READY IN:
Clean Eating Spinach and Mushroom Quiche is easy to make, it tastes great and makes perfect portable clean eating picnic food! Feel free to add some grated organic cheese to the egg mixture before baking. This would make a perfect Meat Free Monday meal, served warm with a large side salad.
Clean Eating Pastry Base
This Clean Eating Pastry Base is dairy free, egg free, sugar free, quick and easy to make and it tastes delicious!
- 150 grams Plain Wholemeal Flour
- 4 Tablespoons Cold Water
- 2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- 1 pinch Sea Salt
- Place the flour into a food processor and cover with the lid.
- Open the funnel on the lid of the food processor and whilst the processor is on, pour in the water and the oil.
- Once the flour looks like fine breadcrumbs, open the lid and scrap down the sides.
- Put the lid back on and blend again.
- Once completely blended, pour out the dough onto a lightly floured surface and form into a ball.
- Roll out as needed.
NOW, MAKE THE QUICHE…
- 1 Clean Eating Pastry Base see recipe above
- 1/4 teaspoon Olive Oil
- 250 grams Mushrooms cleaned and sliced
- 80 grams Fresh Baby Spinach Leaves
- 3 Whole Eggs
- 6 Egg Whites
- 1 pinch Sea Salt and Black Pepper
- Preheat the oven to 175°C.
- Roll out your pastry and place it into a lightly oiled 23cm (9inch) pie dish. Crimp the edges and cut off any excess pastry.
- Place the olive oil into a large non stick frying pan and add the sliced mushrooms.
- Cook over a medium/low heat for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- After 5 minutes add the spinach leaves and stir.
- Cook for a further 8 – 10 minutes until the liquid has mostly evaporated.
- Once the mushrooms and spinach are cooked, pour them out onto a plate and set aside to cool down.
- Whilst the mushrooms and spinach are cooling, prepare you eggs by cracking them into a large bowl.
- Add a pinch of salt and pepper to the eggs and whisk well.
- Once the mushrooms and spinach have cooled down to room temperature, add them to the egg mixture and stir to combine.
- Pour the egg mixture into the pie dish and place in the oven for 40 minutes.
- After 40 minutes, remove from the oven and check that the egg is cooked right through in the center.
- Allow to cool slightly in the pan before serving.